Customer Service is one of the most important aspects in ensuring effective Customer Engagement. Its not something that can be overlooked and requires key traits in the Customer Service Professionals to ensure Customer Satisfaction. Often we have seen that Great Brands have Great Customer Service and have Non Negotiable Approach to this management function which is as important as any Marketing Activity.
We discuss 13 essential customer service qualities such as below:
- Respecting Your Customer by treating them like a human being instead of a token number.
- Having Active Listening Skills, attentiveness and showing concern for the customer’s problem instead of dismissing them
- Being able to put yourself in Customer’s Shoes– Being Empathetic-Showing that you care instead of dismissing those concerns
- Patience in the face of a challenge (frustrated customer) and Choice of Words-Communication can greatly diffuse a heated situation and act as a soothing balm
- Commitment to Service, Persistence and Great People Skills
- Product and Service Expertise is as important as Great People Skills as the absence of these skills can greatly reflect the competence gap on part of the customer representative and lead to a negative brand image.
- Problem Solving Attitude/Approach– Going outside the box and by sometimes bending the laid down rules/policies can greatly impact customer engagement and shows flexibility in willingness to address a customer issue. For Example in a Restaurant- if a Customer Complains about a dish and doesn’t like it at all to such an extent that he/she sends it back just after tasting one spoon, then not charging for that dish shows that you care about the customer.
- Willing to learn from each Experience– this shows that the Company respects customers and incorporates each negative customer experience as part of its evolution curve in an attempt to build a great brand image.
- Great Communication Skills– Ability to articulate complex information and concepts in simple verbal language.
- Top Writing Skills- Ability to articulate complex information and concepts in simple written language while striving to maintain a cordial exchange.
- Strong Convincing Ability-Ability to convince potential customers that the product/service is right for them (if it truly is).
- People Management and Resource Optimisation Ability– Ability to manage and deal with different people and optimise available resources like Time, Tools/Software to resolve a deadlock.
- Ability to handle Shocks and Surprises (in form of Customer Complaints)– Sometimes Customer Complaints can be surprising both in terms of language and problem identification/issue resolution and requires both competence, emotional intelligence to treat each defect/issue or a resentful customer as a task at hand and as part of day to day job.
Great Customer Service also has an important role in achieving higher Customer Lifetime Value and is a sum of 13 Essential Customer Service Qualities.